The boys and girls used marla to make space objects. They are so creative! You can see everything from aliens to planets!
This week the children were learning about the history of space travel.
Ask your child to give you this space quiz...
1. In 1949 the first animal was sent to space. What type of animal was he and what was his name?
2. Laika was the first dog in space. Where was he from?
3. The first man orbited the Earth in 1961. He was Russian. What was his name?
4. Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon in 1969. Can you name the second man to walk on the moon?
5. Who else was on the mission with them?(He had to mind the spacecraft)
6. Who was Valentina Tereshkova?
7. What is the ISS?
8. What is the Curiosity rover doing on Mars?
9. Why do we need the sun?
10. Pluto is now a dwarf planet. Can you name the other 8 planets?
This week we have been learning about fractions. We now know that one unit can be broken into two equal halves and that a quarter is half of a half. I think dividing the chocolate bars into quarters was their favourite part of today's lesson.
The second class children have started 'Shared Reading' with the children in junior infants.
Both classes really enjoy reading together. It was great to see their enthusiasm!
In science we were learning about light and shadows. The children made tinfoil figures then shone a torch at them and coloured in their shadow.